Wednesday, September 19, 2007

What the Frypod?



Burger King is attempting to comply with some of the U.S. health standards to prevent obesity in children. They are going to come out with a new line of 'fries' that are called apple fries and their box will say Frypods. They are actually just apple slices. This is Burger King’s way of helping curb the epidemic in childhood obesity. I think Apple Fries and BK's new positioning might be a failure in the making.

From Burger King’s website, the serving of Apple Fries is 2.4 ounces which will have 35 calories. A small serving of Burger King french fries has 230 calories and 13 grams of fat. Burger King has put into place nutritional guidelines to follow when targeting children under 12 in advertising, including limiting ads to Kids Meals that contain no more than 560 calories, less than 30 percent of calories from fat and no more than 10 percent of calories from added sugars.

We all know Burger King isn't healthy. We shouldn't consume it often, but as a treat, I don't see the harm. I think we should teach children that same line of thinking. I think it is going to be difficult to reposition a burger fast food chain as healthy for the kids. I just don't think kids of this generation are going to be jumping up and down for it.

I think the idea is a great marketing strategy on advertising/BK's part and will appeal to the parents. Parents will be early adapters because childhood obesity is a major concern of theirs. However, the food needs to be good. Mom and Dad can buy it all they want but if the kids don't want it, forget about it. They will stop thinking of BK meals as a treat and will want to go elsewhere.

This plan is set to be released as early as January 2008 and they have to remember that there are a whole group of children who have already had a BK meal and a Happy Meal. These kids are still impressionable, but don’t be fooled. The same company that is trying to change and be healthier is also the company that puts chemicals on the food you and your children are eating so the smell attracts you to their fries and burgers. They want you to salivate when you smell the fries. I doubt the kids will drool on command for apple slices that they know mom can prepare at home.

As a kid, I always had McDonalds as a treat once a month (we didn’t have Burger Kings close to where I lived in Maine) and I wouldn’t want after a few years (of conditioning me to expect chicken tenders and fries) to be thrown a bag of apple slices. That’s what my mom gives me at home, this isn’t a treat.

I like the concept of putting the lemon juice on the apples so the apples don’t brown as fast. At least they will look appealing. I just hope they start pushing their new meals to the parents and the kids. I fear that the parents will be an easy sell and the kids may be a hard sell. The youngest generation (3 year olds) probably would take a meal gladly, see the nicely packaged bag, with the toy and eat the meal without hesitation. I am worried about the 7-11 year olds who know it’s not the same meal they grew up with.

I will be interested to see how their plan turns out. I love that BK has no plan for fighting adult obesity or diabetes. Have they given up on us or would they rather us just eat their heart clogging food. Is it BK's evil scheme to let kids eat healthy but then say whatever when they hit adolescence and adulthood and want that age demographic to switch back over to 50 gram of fat burgers and 800 calorie fries so they can turn a profit. I didn't see any care for adults on their site or announcements. That's interesting.

They have made a lot of public statements about their advertising initiative. It’s all over the news, in health and parent magazines, on their site and in advertising news. I just hope they don’t use this guy to entice the kids . . .



He scares me a little. I can only remember Ronald. Does BK have a kid mascot? Does that mean because I can only remember him I may have been brainwashed by the Golden Arches.

Unrelated: I don’t like Wal-Mart’s new slogan Save Money. Live Better. I am not a copy writer and I could have done that in my sleep. I am disappointed that this was the catchiest thing they could up with. Stick with the smiley.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that apple slices instead of fries are an awful idea. Who would rather have a waffle apple instead of a waffle fry? Not Me, The burger king mascot is scary, and thats probably why they pulled all their stores out of Tampa Bay. Because they serve chopped up apples and have a scary pedophile for a mascot.

Anonymous said...

Have you ever been in a grocery store and seen the children that refuse to let go of something you already told them they could have? Yeah, I see a similar situation with the flip of fast food. Anyway, I agree that we should teach these children portion control and train them to eat right with or without advertising. Eventually, this greasy food is going to be accessible to the kids and they need to know how to choose.

I agree with Kathleen that the Burger King looks like a pedophile, but it has brought a lot of attention (i.e. halloween costumes, masks, facebook groups and discussions). I am just curious if this mascot has actually helped an increase in sales.

Taryn Cashmere said...

The Burger King was made to look like that to attract adult men to the food. It apparently has raised sales. I would still run in the other direction if I saw a face like that in an alley. Possibly more scary that the Scream face.

Anonymous said...

im pumped to try the new apple fries!

and PS as children...i feel we really missed out on all the unhealty snacks...and cerels and daily trips to the fast food resturants. now i am making up for it.

Anonymous said...

Like apples instead of fries will REALLY appeal to kids. They aren't stupid! A kid knows the difference between a healthy alternative and a tasty fatty strip of potato.

Anonymous said...

First of all, we shouldn't care if Burger King is healthy. When it comes down to the basics they are serving us grilled meat and fried potatos. No one should expect food that is prepared in less than five minutes to be healthy. Fast food chains are just one of many places for us to go to when we are hungry. If you are really looking for a place to get healthy food for your kids quickly, go to Sub Way.

Anonymous said...

WHO IS FEEDING THEIR KIDS BURGER KING SO MUCH THAT IT MATTERS? I used to get fast food twice a week when I was little. My mom used to get it for me on my way to dance class!
I think people need to make their kids go GO OUTSIDE!

APPLE SLICES DON'T GET KIDS OFF THE SOFA!

Kelsey said...

"snug as a bug in a rug"

Kelsey said...

"frypod" is kind of a ghey name too.

it's also misleading because there arent any fries in the 'pod.'