Sunday, September 16, 2007

Am I normal? Do I want to be?


Today, I was called crazy and weird. I asked, “What do you mean?” He took a significant pause and stated, “You’re just NOT normal.” The conversation ended but I still kept pondering: What is normal?

I know many a people have considered the word but I was wondering should I be offended, the person didn’t elaborate on the words when they chose to evaluate my personality. Was he unable to put me in a box, put me in a stereotypical group so therefore there must be something wrong with my being.

Definition for normal (nor – mal):

1. conforming to the standard or the common type; usual; not abnormal; regular; natural.
2. Serving to establish a standard.

I guess my definition would look like this:

Taryn (Tear – in): bitchy, hardworking, overbearing, outgoing, dominating, friendly, psycho, neurotic, silly, angelic (once but he was very old) loud, feminist, talkative, deranged, histrionic, animated, drama queen, cynical, sarcastic . . . and I am sure there were more that I can not remember or care not to.

But adding these three words to my definition or character description has left me feeling sort of inclusive about how other people view me. To me, crazy and weird have negative connotations so I am kind of hoping these words were somehow supposed to be a compliment but googling these definitions I am now unsure. Perhaps, the person who called me these things didn’t fully understand the definitions of these words. This is a person that cares about me but used these words to describe me. Look up crazy and weird in a dictionary, I’m not really sure you’d want someone who embodies these qualities into your house for a cup of tea.

I have to admit, I am a human Nancy Drew. What I mean by that is, I am constantly trying to figure people out. I am not searching for missing clocks or can-openers or whatever the shit was she searched for that filled those pages that made those books so popular. I must know questions like this: Are they gay, why do they hate milk, how come they are trying so hard to please people, why are they so insecure, why do they always wear longsleeve shirts in Florida, why is a grown man home at all hours of the day, why does he scratch his butt so much, who waters plants at 3 am, . . . etc. etc. I want to get to the bottom of the people, what makes them tick, why do people do the things that we do? Some issues are small, some consume the person. I like to be able to figure out a person and then be able to draw a sound conclusion and I am at peace. I shouldn’t care and it’s not my business but I guess we can add to my list of descriptors is that I am nosy or maybe better yet, inquisitive. The conclusion that I come to might be completely off base but at least my mind rests and I feel like I have solved something.

I think in another life I would have made a great explorer. I should have been an anthropologist but I was getting sick of sitting through classes where all we did was watch monkeys. It is not that riveting to watch monkeys eat and throw their own shit at each other. Well, at least not to me. I highly doubt we evolved from monkeys and my logic for that, is that, we are here and so are they, so riddle me that. Maybe, the GEICO caveman has the answer. He’s always claiming to be so smart and I have never heard him say a damn thing that impresses me. I think he should stop whining about being classified as stupid and say something amazing and prove the masses wrong.


I started thinking about society and celebrities and other people in the public eye and they are regularly called crazy, weird and abnormal. So should I take these words as a compliment or do these words not have the same meaning to a non-celebrity. I think celebs just create interesting events that most people can’t interpret because it is so different to them. I would love to be able to hang with some of these supposedly crazy celebrities. Why is biting the head off a bat, not okay? Or if people want to flash their vaginas to the masses, so what! Or why can’t we all jump on couches (I did as a kid!) These celebrities seem interesting to me! Or is it weird or not normal that I would want to hang with them?



I will not let these words define me. I think all people are indefinable. How would you feel to be categorized and told by someone they can sum you up in a few words? Isn’t there so much more to people? I like to think so. I am proud to say I am not NORMAL. I am WEIRD!

Want to mess with someone’s head: ask them to describe you and when they use vague, ambiguous words, ask them what they mean by that. I bet they have no idea.

People always say “that’s normal” but we should just remove that word from our vocabulary because I think there are very few things or people that can be considered normal. We are all abnormal freaks in one way or another. So allow me to end this blog (which was very much inspired by wine) by saying: Welcome to the Freak Show!

14 comments:

Kelsey said...

these entries just keep getting longer and longer.

and ryn, you're weird in the good way, and not even weird, just not normal, but in a good way.

Kelsey said...

PostScript: i'm happy to see histrionic on there. i swear that is some kind of mental disorder thing.

i remember mindy said animated.

you should add 'entertaining' cuz that's how i'd describe u.

Anonymous said...

i can't believe your teacher is basing your grade, your actual permeant GPA, on the measure of collective laziness of your friends. but i can't do anything about that, but conform and help. So here's my comment: That guy who called you weird is obviously less intelligent than the majority of our generation. i think at this point everyone should know that it is more beneficial to an individual to be creative instead of re-active or conforming to old ways. i think it's obvious that creativity and making new ways of living is good for our evolution.

Anonymous said...

taryn!

you are not normal, but in a good way. i aspire to be like you some day! knowing you, i am sure you werent actually offended becuase i know you dont care what other people think (well most of the time) and that in itself is an amazing quality!

PS did you steal that washing maching graphic from my myspace haha?

Anonymous said...

Hi Taryn

To be honest I don't think I would mind being called crazy and weird. The words that offend me the most are the ones like 'quiet' or 'sensible' or 'grown up' - you know me, am I any of those?! I hope not. I get called those things at work, where my behaviour is obviously much more restrained, yet it still pisses me off! I think you get offended the most when you're called things by someone who doesn't know you, and if they don't know you, why are you listening to their opinions anyway?! Ok so no one at work has seen my impression of a pie, watched me drink wine until I'm singing like a lunatic in someone else's house or witnessed me laughing uncontrollably everytime someone said the word cake! So they probably do think I'm 'normal' - but that's because I save my special behaviour for my favourite (sorry, favorite!) people. I don't want to be normal, no one should. You are fabulous, extraordinary, and, in the best sense of the word, one crazy bitch! Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Hey Boo! First off, you should add a few more descriptors to your definition. Addict, top heavy, glamorous etc etc.
I apologize for not being there for you to help you solve those mounting problems in life but let's start with answering those questions. Ready?

Are they gay? Most likely if they don't check you out
Why do they hate milk? Their parents were probably stomped to death by a stampede of cows.
How come they are trying so hard to please people? Because they watch Laguna Beach and think pleasing people will make them happy. Oh, and the human instict that everyone wants to be liked and/or loved
Why are they so insecure? Once again, because they compare themselves to the perfect bitches on Laguna Beach or The Hills
Why do they always wear longsleeve shirts in Florida? Because they have hideous scars on their arms and shoulders from prison knife fights
Why is a grown man home at all hours of the day? Because he's a deadbeat or he's coming home to get an afternoon delight from a mistress
Why does he scratch his butt so much? Because he has worms or just got done scratching his crotch
Who waters plants at 3 am? Me

Ok boo, I hope this holds you over for a bit. Please call with questions in the future. And yes, you are weird and crazy. Don't act offended either. Both you and I work very hard to be considered as such. Personalities like ours don't just happen on accident.

Kelsey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Normal means not to stand out. so if you were ever to get a comment that you are normal, it means that you are not significant enough to think about when you are away from that person. Think of it this way people don't fall in love with some one normal, people don't want to spend time with just some one "normal". I never hear someone wanting to seek out normal people to be around. To be abnormal means that you mean something to someone enough for them to give you a complement of such high esteem, I say raise you head, you are unique enough to stand out.

Anonymous said...

hey taryn! I don't think you're weird if that helps :) I really liked your blog... it made me think about how i would describe myself. SO good job on that! =)

Anonymous said...

well i dont really know what normal is, you are unique but then again i guess its better then being completely crazy but you make me think about how i would describe myself..who knows..but i love you bc u could care less what people say about u..i admire u

Anonymous said...

taryn you are sexy

Anonymous said...

Big Tit, embrace the non-normal in you. None of us are "normal"!!! What gives people the right to dictate how a person should dress, what they should talk about, what they LOOK like, or anything else!? I love that all of us are non-normal people. You are an amazing person and I love your so-called craziness and wild personality. You wouldn't be you without it, and without it, well, you wouldn't be you- and you, my love are fabulous!

LT

Anonymous said...

i dont think wierd is what makes us different. In a way you are right, but what makes someone diferent isnt being wierd. Its only labeled wierd because it is unknown or misunderstood. The unacknowledgable aspects of someones life cant be the most brilliant qualities they have, if they are now said to be abnormal then we no longer have something to work for in life. It isnt whether someone is "Wierd" or "different" its all about the ultimate result of their journal to the goals they place against themselves. But i loved the article keep drinkin the wine!

Dr. P (Doctor Pulse) said...

How in the freaking world do you have people who actually read your blog? I'm like in a valley of depression trying to convince myself that all of my friends are actually real friends...