Monday, September 17, 2007

My HBO Obsessions and MY Personal Seal of Approval!

This is going to be a relatively short entry because I need some serious sleep and am still neck high in Statistics and Creative Strategy Homework. I hate that there are not enough hours in the day for my eyes to close and go to the happy place where I can dream in peace. I found out I cannot dream in class because apparently napping in college is unacceptable. Go Figure.

And my parents wonder why I am addicted to caffeine. . . if I could inject caffeine into my veins I would. . .

These two shows (Entourage and Flight of the Conchords) are relevant to pop culture because they are all about the struggle in show business. Plus, I dream of being on these two shows often. I usually insert myself into the script. Think of this entry more as a positive plug for two funny shows. This is my TV show blog.

I am obsessed with the boys from Entourage. I think these boys are the epitome of living the good life. These four average looking guys who are all so different, yet, they share the common bond of being best friends from childhood. I think that Vince, the hot male actor, (Adrian Grenier) who is their friend/brother is the glue that holds the group together. He allows the rest of his posse to reap all the benefits of his success.

If I was famous I would definitely have an entourage where all my friends could enjoy the perks of fame. I already have a personal assistant recruited (thanks, Kelsey) and I would let the rest of my friends Party like Rock Stars. I love that Vince (Grenier) chooses to still hang with his friends that he grew up with. He realizes his fame but very rarely displays a superior attitude. I respect that he is grounded (even though he is fictional). It makes the show’s scenario appear seemingly real. I think this could happen and I love how silly they are together. Ari is my favorite though. He is an entertainment agent that takes care of Vince and he is out of control FABULOUS! What an amazing character! I think anyone could appreciate the ridiculousness of their antics.


Flight of the Conchords is equally hilarious. Two New Zealanders named Bret and Jermaine are trying to make it as a folk-singing group in NYC. The problem is that no one ever comes to see their gigs. They have one fan (she is really a stalker) and a band manager who never really does anything. His name is Murray and wants to be their friend. They are constantly shot down but are oblivious to all of their failures. The two are actually comedians and tour. This show is just an exaggerated off-shoot of their act. This show is comic genius. I don’t know how they can get through a shot without bursting into laughter.

I have to leave you with one of my favorite clips. They often segue way into song. This song is in French. Sort of. It makes me feel better about my French skills and makes me laugh. I feel like I am in Beginning French again. I hope you can appreciate this.



Or maybe this one is better . . . you be the judge. I love the sea weed line...



Without a doubt, these shows have replaced my fix for Sex and the City. (but I will always have a huge place in my heart for those ladies)


I highly recommend tuning into HBO on Sunday nights to enjoy the escapades of these very different groupings of guys. See HBO.com too to learn more. . .

Tomorrow’s entry will be about the sexes constantly pretending to be something there not. I’m sure I will have a nice vent about this little topic. I will be mentioning the need for more jazz bars. . .

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate HBO and think that the shows are just absolutely terrible. They are never original, they just have a larger budget then eh other shows on television. Better yet i can appreciate the people who pay for HBO and watch it all the time. it's 12 dollars more a month than what I pay now and for what? Ridiculous shows such as named, lets sit around and watch rich kids get into funny plots and play Aqua-Man in fake real life. What new fake maybe real reality show will the millionaires at HBO think of next.
How about a rich girl who is alloy famous for her last name and showing her goods off to the public and only acts dumb because she thinks it's cute.

Kelsey said...

you misspelled 'there' in the last paragraph. or...you used the wrong homonym.

in any event, i'm not sure that i even get HBO, and if i don't, i believe i'm not missing anything.

did i get a shout-out? holy crap! you better become famous so i can have a low-skilled job.

i love adrian grenier!

nolan said i should capitalize my "i's" but i say FUCK HIM -- I'LL CAPITALIZE "FUCK YOU!" STICK THAT IN YOUR JUICE BOX AND SUCK IT!!!!

and taryn, when do you have time to watch tv? shouldnt you be studying or something, or sleeping (more importantly)

i am looking forward to tomorrow's post.

you know what's funny, you said this entry was going to be short, but it was really long.

Anonymous said...

ive only seen those shows a few times but they still get a laugh out of me. i personally think that they are better quality then the rest of the crap on TV (like anything on mtv or vh1)

Anonymous said...

Entourage is an awesome show and I could def see you in it. I imagine myself in the show The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. I would be the daughter (and I'm white). The plot would thicken after the audience learns that I am an illagenament child of the maid from 18 years ago...I would poke fun at my brother (actually, my brotha)m, Carlton...I can sing the theme song like no other.

Seth said...

I don't get HBO at all so all this entourage references, I don't get. You know what else I don't get? A personal assistant.

I'd like to have a personal assistant. I would give her a nickname like "Helpy mcHelperson" and it would be totally fucking awesome. If you know anybody looking for an ego boost and wanting the privilege to be my personal assistant, give me a holler. A cellular hollar.

Anonymous said...

I havent seen any of those shows but I think you would be an amazing character in any show! I could honestly see you messing with peoples heads and just being that random chick that makes the show that much better. Now I want to watch HBO but cant bc I am poor and cant afford those types of channels!

Anonymous said...

Damn right you will always have a place in your heart for sex and the city girls.... aka YMCA girls ... accept not really:) LOVE YOU!!!! Good info you keep me reading about shows I have never seen:)

Kelsey said...

seth, i'm not ryn's personal assistant....she's not rich enough to pay me. but she still treats me like her assistant. not cool. not cool, taryn. don't forget this important clause: "when you're rich"

like filthy.

Anonymous said...

o jermaine how i love thee.
voila une baguette!