Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Tigers, and Lions, and Bears oh my!

It’s time for a new PET! I want to domesticate a new animal. This is a challenge for you to help me think of a new animal we could domesticate, if one even exists. I don’t want to inhibit the animal from the natural environment or handicap their natural instincts in any way. So, what animals’ do we have left that would be good pets?

I am sick of cats and dogs being the only domesticated pets. When I think of a good pet, I think of, an animal that loves you unconditionally. Cats and dogs already do that when you see small dogs in coats and cats being walked on leashes. See this cat probably forgot how much he hated his owner for doing this to him 5 minutes later. Good pets are the perfect combination of smart and dumb!


When you come into your house, it could be 20 minutes since you last saw your pet or 12 hours. Either way, the reaction of your pet is to immediately greet you and wants your attention. A pet that will come lay near you or on you, they can sense if you are having a bad day or if you are sad. A pet that loves nothing more than when you scratch their ears, feed them and let them live with you. And they are satisfied as long as their three needs are met.

I am sick of people saying that their bunnies, iguanas, fish, gerbils, frogs, mice/rats, hamsters, snakes, horses, ponies, tarantulas and birds are good pets. I see no redeemable value in them. Those ‘pets’ are more for show or for the cool factor. I think a good pet is fluffy, warm, non-threatening and loves their owners no matter what. I want an animal that actually cares that we pick up their poop and they depend on us for their meal. Also, the size issue is important to assess. The animal must be small enough to pick up or to live comfortably in a normal-sized apartment or house.

However, I feel limited that there are not many other options other than cats or dogs. I don’t want any livestock animals or exotic animals. This new pet shouldn’t have to be kept in a cage. There is no way I would keep a lion or a bear. Even, if you got the animals as cubs, I wouldn’t want them to grow so big that if I walked in and I forgot to feed them they would eat me upon entering the apartment.

My friends fueled this discussion over drinks and the couple of suggestions they had were weak. The best idea that my friends have had so far are sea otters or beavers. They can live without water, are soft, cute, small and can’t eat you. We could easily feed them the appropriate diet and let them play in water. We could probably have a couple of them, so they would have friends. I think penguins might work but I don’t think in Florida. The challenge would be to train them. Yet, that is the point of this mission.









We did do a lot of thinking if we could do cross breeds and dwarf animals. For example, mini-horses. We were thinking how cute would a baby panda be, but, it could never grow because they are fierce animals. We were thinking along the same lines for a baby kangaroo, giraffe and many others in the bear and large cat family. But, that is cheating.

Suggestions so far that I have vetoed:
ferrets, sloth’s, anything in the monkey family (from spider monkeys to orangutans), raccoons, fox’s, chipmunks, squirrels, dolphins (where would he live, in the bathtub?), ligers, porcupines, tiger, lion, jaguar, lynx, panther, dinosaur, giraffe, leopard, elephant, zebra (like a horse), goats, alligators, lambs (they turn into sheep and not so cute), pigs (possibly but not fuzzy enough), anything in the bear family (black, brown, panda, koala, polar is a NO!), deer, antelope, raptors, gazelles, dingo, wombat . . .

I think I am forgetting more but see if you can inspire an original thought to solve this issue that has been consuming my mind! I will forever think you are a genius!


Please don't suggest this . . .



or this. . .

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

koala!!!

Anonymous said...

um id have to disagree when you say "im sick of people saying that their hampsters are fun pets"

let my tell you i loved my hampsters! (all of them)
and they loved me i think... but then they ran away...or died.

it was tramatic for me. (you laughed, i cried)

anyways i would still not be opposed to the squirrel idea.

Anonymous said...

hamsters are not pets...they are rodents.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you should either move to the circus, zoo or Australia.

Kelsey said...

pet rock covered in felt.